Trust is one of the key components for healthy relationships. Shattered trust will severely crack any friendship, family relationship, or marriage connection. Broken trust may occur from lies, abuse, infidelity, financial secrets, etc. Shown below are 7 ideas to rebuild trust in order to restore a relationship bond.
1. Acknowledge the problem. The offender must admit that their words or actions demolished the trust.
2. Sincere repentance. The offender offers either a verbal or written genuine apology.
3. Request forgiveness. Just saying “I am sorry” is not enough because asking for forgiveness helps validate a repentant attitude.
4. Choose to forgive. The offended person needs to offer forgiveness to begin the reconciliation process.
5. Restorative words and actions. The offended person may make a list of words and actions for the offender that will restore faith in the offender.
6. The offended needs to risk wisely. Please use reason and logic and understand that rebuilding trust increases 1% at a time through truthful words and honest actions.
7. Trust is a percentage. Realize that no one is 100% trustworthy but the higher in the 90th percentile a friendship, family relationship, or marriage is the more likely for a satisfying relationship.
Today: If necessary, begin using these 7 steps for rebuilding a broken trust in order to achieve the goal of a healthy reconciliation.
Enjoyed this post? Like or share on Facebook and Twitter to spread the word! Please also “SUBSCRIBE” on my website for future newletters and information about my Christian marriage book. See past blog posts under Practical Wisdom for Marriage, Parenting, and Life.