We all want good strong relationships. Healthy relationships are fulfilling, enjoyable, and actually help our emotional and physical well-being. Although not an exhaustive list, shown below are 10 Qualities of Healthy Relationships.
1. Servanthood. Jesus came “not to be served, but to serve, in order to pay the price and free the world from the penalty of sin.” Only with Jesus was it a one-way street. In healthy earthly relationships—marriage, families, friendships--serving is a two-way street. So if something is only good for one in the relationship that is selfishness, not servanthood.
2. Forgiveness. Hurts, disappointments, and mistakes happen in every satisfying relationship. Without apologizing and forgiving, a grudge wall is built between two people.
3. Love or “Value.” One of the best synonyms for love is value. When two people value each other from a servant heart and not a quid pro quo stance, that relationship will thrive.
4. Open Communication. Totally open communication can be brutal, so avoid it. However, loving, open communication is vital in building a strong friendship. Being able to share joys and frustrations, both individuals speaking and listening, neither person getting defensive over topics, is essential for healthy relationships.
5. Self-control. The Bible says a “fruit of the Spirit” is self-control, without it friendship in marriage, families, others, and life can be difficult. Various forms of abuse, addictions, and significant personality issues are due to an absence of self-control.
6. Patience. We all can struggle with impatience, driving a car, waiting at a restaurant, shopping, so imperfection with patience is normal. However, exhibiting patience with others and daily life, is an essential attribute for two people seeking a healthy relationship.
7. Mutual Respect. Two people don’t necessarily agree in every area but they respect each other’s viewpoint. Disagree yes, disrespect no!
8. Kindness. Treating people with gentleness and thoughtfulness is at the heart of a wholesome person and makes all the difference in the world when it comes to a rewarding relationship.
9. Laughter. Life has enough drama! Smiles and appropriate humor are a fundamental quality for any friendship. Light-heartedness and fun are lubrication for potential friction in life as well as any relationship.
10. Commitment. In society today, loyalty is often a missing component. Commitment means that two people work on their issues by having reasonable expectations and seeking solutions. Loyalty says, “I am not leaving and will work together with you for the sake of our relationship.”
Today: Assess all your relationships based upon the 10 Qualities and determine where improvement is needed.
Enjoyed this post? Like or share on Facebook and Twitter to spread the word! See past blog posts under Practical Wisdom for Marriage, Parenting, and Life.