An underachiever is a student whose school performance, typically measured by grades, is substantially poorer than what parents would expect on the basis of ability or intelligence tests. Unfortunately, underachievers often develop a poor self-concept. Based upon research, shown below are seven characteristics of healthy parents who helped their child succeed academically.
1. Read with their child daily.
2. Provide library books and other reading materials in the home.
3. Provide stimulating educational games on the computer, tablet, etc.
4. Have a healthy balance with educational and leisure “screen” time.
5. Use praise, not money, and encouragement when rewarding effort and improvement.
6. Provide many life experiences and opportunities for success.
7. Affirm and appreciate their child on a daily basis.
Today: Begin using these 7 essential behaviors to help your child succeed academically.
Enjoyed this post? Like or share on Facebook and Twitter to spread the word! Please also “SUBSCRIBE” on my website for future newletters and information about my Christian marriage book. See past blog posts under Practical Wisdom for Marriage, Parenting, and Life.